Saturday, December 9, 2023

CADIZ WE HOPPED ON AND OFF

Cádiz, Europe's oldest continuously inhabited city, founded by the Phoenician's, dates back 3500 years. Due to its strategic port location, where Christopher Columbus sailed from on voyages to America, Cádiz became an important centre for commercial trade.  History lesson is now over!

It was a lovely day weatherwise albeit a bit cool outside.  We started out by taking the Hop On Bus for the one and a half hour circuit.  It was a good way to see some highlights of the city and then come back to the older centre part of town for our walk around.  I especially love all the narrow streets that make up parents of the old city.

There was a Christmas market in the centre square just outside the cathedral. So after we spent sometime in the church, we wandered around the market stalls.  There is always something different to see.  The Christmas markets we have seen on our brief times ashore do not really compare to the larger ones in Germany and France from what I understand, but they are novel and interesting to spend some time and a few Euros while we are visiting.

The cathedral was quite large and had a beautiful creche inside.  I am finding it hard to think of it being so close to Christmas.  I guess it is because we are on a vacation.  I am so very glad that I did as much as I did to prepare for the 24th and the 25th before I left for the cruise.  I should be in pretty good shape when I get home...especially if my hip is not behaving.  Read on to find out more. While walking back to the ship, I had some difficulty and a feeling that my hip and knee were unstable.  I sat down at the bar with Brenda to have a beer and think about things.  Mostly I was thinking about how I would make it back on board.

I visited a washroom before starting the trek back and had to take a picture of the beautiful tile work.  Not the first picture I have taken inside a loo and I am sure not the last but it really was lovely.

Needless to say, I made it back, but was finding that I really had to step carefully and be mindful of something close to hold in to if necessary.  I stayed in the cabin and was lying down to give it as much rest as possible.  Hoping that tomorrow I will be able to get off the ship in Lisbon.  It really was such a weird feeling...there was no indication of anything until it happened.  Hoping tomorrow is a day without issues.


Oh and Pam, I saw the parrots again and managed to get a picture of the noisy squawking birds.  They really are quite loud but also delightful!


No comments: