Sunday, September 25, 2022

KETCHIKAN

For whatever reason, my blog was blocked for 2 1/2 days as a security threat … hmmm don’t know quite what that is about.  I did write a note to the security agency asking them to please reconsider reinstating me and inform me of the reason, but never heard back.  I wanted to know so that I wouldn't make the same mistake again.   The block block was lifted 2 1/2 days later and was available only the night before we were to disembark.  I never knew why, but when it was unblocked, it was too late to finish it while on board the Zuiderdam.   So, now I am finishing this trip a few days later from home.  

We arrived in Ketchikan on a gorgeous sunny record breaking temperature day. (if it wasn't actually a record breaking temperature day...it sure felt like it)   I can’t believe our good fortune with having perfect weather this late in the season.  When we were leaving Vancouver, it seemed as though there would be rain and clouds every day.  We have not seen any of that other than the first at sea day in the evening.  Since then – nary a cloud in the sky.  It is spectacular!

Going up into town to go to Creek Street, we were very warm.  The sun was brilliant and the odour on Creek Street at the top of town was overwhelming.  Salmon spawning is at or nearing an end and the dead and decaying fish at this end of the stream were many in number.  Seals and seagulls were eating their fill of the nearly dead that were still moving around.  Ahh the circle of life.

Pam went on a power walk up and around parts of the town that I have never been to and managed to see further up the creek of Creek Street.  She saw many salmon spawning - a much more rewarding sight than the one we had further down stream.

Matt, Sarah and Colton went to the lumberjack show today.  It sure sounded like a lot of fun.  The hoots and hollers that were coming from the stadium when walking around in town were very audible.  Looking down from the ship, we could see the venue for the show.  Back on the ship, If I had binoculars, I'm sure I would have been able to see them in the stands.  What a lot of fun they had!  Colton really enjoys the lumberjack shows.  Brough back memories of Mom and I at the PNE.  Every year at the end of our day we would see the Lumberjack Show and the Demolition Derby.

So now the day is at an and and we are once again sailing off into the sunset to begin our journey the rest of the way home.  



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great trip April. Thank you for sharing

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy your blog wonderful that you had such a great time!